ODA Leadership Academy
Let the Oregon Dental Association guide you on your journey in continued excellence and leadership growth. This program provides you with a unique backstage pass to ODA offerings and experiences, while developing and enhancing your leadership and interpersonal skills. Customized to each participant, depending upon area(s) of interest, the Academy guarantees a deeper understanding and growth where it matters most to you!
Leadership Academy 2024 Dates
Kick Off: Thursday, January 25, 2024 - Virtual Meeting (6:00 pm -8:30 pm)
May Event: Friday, May 3, 2024 - In person at the ODA Office in Wilsonville (all day)
Fall Event: Friday, October 11, 2024 - In person at the ODA Office in Wilsonville (3:00 pm -6:00 pm)
The Leadership Academy is designed with you in mind, offering a balance of unique ODA experiences, networking, and leadership growth. The ability to customize your immersion experience offerings ensures a personalized journey that will benefit you professionally and personally.
From the Academy, you can expect to gain:
- A comprehensive understanding of organized dentistry's offerings, through immersion experiences.
- Valuable leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Up to 18 hours of continuing education by attending the Oregon Dental Conference.
- Exposure and access to thought leaders within organized dentistry and your areas of interest.
- A unique networking opportunity to interact with colleagues with whom you may not otherwise connect.
- A solid foundation for future leadership opportunities within and outside of organized dentistry.
- Recognition at the ODA House of Delegates where participants will be awarded a participation plaque.
The ODA Leadership Academy runs on a calendar year basis, starting in January and concluding by December.
Over the course of a year, participants are required to complete a minimum of five immersion experiences. Four offerings are predetermined. Additional offerings are selected by the participant based on area(s) of interest.
Participation is required in the following four ODA offerings:
- Board of Trustees Meeting as Non-Voting Guest (January, March, July and September options)
- Group Learning Activity focused on Leadership Development: May
- Virtual House of Delegates Meeting: September
- Group Learning Activity focused on Leadership Connections: October
The participant must also select at least one (1) additional immersion experience to satisfy the program curriculum. Many offerings are available within the following areas:
- Government Affairs
- Student/New Dentist
Participants will receive complimentary full conference registration to the Oregon Dental Conference and an invitation to the Thursday and Friday evening events. Attendance is not required, but is encouraged. No travel reimbursement is provided for this opportunity.
After completion of each immersion experience, participants will be asked to complete a short survey providing feedback for enhancements.
In addition to immersion experiences, participants will be provided with leadership education opportunities and supplemental reading materials for additional exposure and growth.
At the completion of the program, participants will be presented with a completion plaque. Following graduation of the Academy, ODA staff will conduct a debrief with each participate to help them navigate current leadership opportunities for continued involvement.
Participants can become involved in one of two ways: self-selection or by nomination.
Applications and nominations for the 2024 Leadership Academy are due by December 1, 2023.
The Leadership Development Committee will review all Academy candidates, and will notify candidates of acceptance status no later than December 31, 2023.