Volunteer Information >>
Read about OrMOM 2011
Read about OrMOM 2012
Read about OrMOM 2013
Read about OrMOM 2014
- Volunteer Registration
- 100% Club - see which dental offices made it possible for all of their employees to volunteer at the 2014 OrMOM
- Community Support - see which companies, organizations and schools were represented at the 2014 OrMOM
- Press for OrMOM 2014
- Dates / Times/General Info
- Volunteer Orientation
- Department Protocols
- 2014 Clinic Floor Plan
- What did our volunteers have to say about OrMOM 2010?
- What do our patients have to say about OrMOM?
- Volunteer FAQs
- More about Mission of Mercy
- 3/8/2014: A Mission for Health Smiles (Statesman Journal)
- 6/18/2014: Dental Group Trying to Extract Volunteers (Statesman Journal)
- 7/10/2014: Patients Wait for Mission of Mercy's Free Dental Care (Statesman Journal)
- 7/11/2014: 1,000 Volunteers Hold Free Dental Clinic (Oregon Optimist)
- 7/11/2014: Free Dental Care Continues Saturday at Chemeketa (Statesman Journal)
- 7/12/2014: Hundreds Line Up in Salem for Free Dental Care (Oregonian)
- 7/16/2014: Aumsville Man Gets Pain-Free Smile at Free Dental Clinic (Statesman Journal)
In general, most OrMOM positions will follow the schedule below. Here are specific department start times from the 2014 clinic.
- Thursday, July 10, 11 am - 5 pm: Clinic Set Up (no patients)
- Friday & Saturday, July 11-12, 6 am - 6 pm: Dental Clinic (patients)
- Saturday, July 12, 5 - 9 pm: Clinic Tear Down (no patients)
What should I wear? What should I bring / leave at home?
- Bring a water bottle. Only water is allowed on the clinic floor, and we'll have water bubblers in the volunteer lounge and in the clinic.
- Leave your valuables behind - at home, locked in the trunk of your car, etc. There is no place to store your purse, wallet, etc, on the clinic floor.
- Dental professionals - bring your own loupes and/or protective eyewear as well as your clinic coat. New this year: we would like practitioners to wear their white coats in the clinic (disposable gowns will also be available), and take them off when in common spaces such as the volunteer lounge. We will have all of the materials you need to practice, but if you have instruments you prefer to use, you may bring them as long as they are clearly marked with your name.
Will there be food for volunteers?
Yes! We will serve breakfast and lunch during each day of the clinic, and lunch during set-up. Bring a water bottle so that you can fill it from bubblers located in the volunteer lounge and around the clinic. No food is allowed on the clinic floor - only water.
Sunday, November 22, 2015: 5:30 - 7:30 pm at the Oregon Convention Center
30 minutes prior to your shift start time, with your department lead, in your department
MOM is divided into several departments, with each department following a specific set of protocols. Following are the protocols for the 2014 clinic (updated 7/9/14). 2015 OrMOM protocols will be posted in the months prior to the November clinic, but this will give you a general idea of the different tasks involved.
All volunteers should read/be familiar with these documents:
- 2014 Infection Control
- 2014 Emergency Evacuation
- 2014 Exposure Control
- 2014 Patient Flow
- 2014 Re-Entry
- 2014 Assistants
- 2014 Anesthesia
- 2014 Dental Lab
- 2014 Dental Triage
- 2014 Endodontics
- 2014 Hygiene
- 2014 Medical Triage
- 2014 Medication Table
- 2014 Oral Surgery
- 2014 Pediatric/ Kids Town
- 2014 Post-Op
- 2014 Restorative
- 2014 Routing
- 2014 Sterilization
- 2014 X-Ray
- 2014 Data Entry
- 2014 Directional / Informational Assistance
- 2014 Exit Interview
- 2014 Interpreter
- 2014 Parking
- 2014 Patient Education
- 2014 Patient Escort
- 2014 Patient Line Management
- 2014 Patient Waiting Area Checker
- 2014 Patient Waiting Room
- 2014 Post Treatment Clipboard Checker
- 2014 Runner
- 2014 Set-Up
- 2014 Tear Down
- 2014 Volunteer Food & Beverage
- 2014 Volunteer Registration
- 2014 Waste Management
View the 2014 OrMOM clinic floor plan.