Guidelines for MENTORS
- Introduce yourself by telephone or e-mail (often the easiest method). You will continue as a mentor with the same student throughout the student's dental school career, unless either of you requests a change.
- Contact your student as soon as possible. Plan to meet at the Mentor Program social event held each January. This is the only organized event for the program. You will be notified of the exact date, time and location as far in advance as possible.
- Contact your student at least once per month to talk about any concerns the student may have, and to plan for the upcoming year. If your student is graduating, call to offer support during board examinations and, if you wish, to offer assistance in job hunting.
- Remind your student that admission to the Oregon Dental Conference in April is free to ASDA members. They may contact the ODA for registration information.
- If you wish additional student/mentor meetings, consider inviting your student to visit your practice or attend your local dental society meeting or study club sessions.
- Encourage your student to participate in the Howard Competition sponsored by the Oregon Academy of General Dentistry.
- Both mentors AND students lead extremely busy lives. When initial contact is made, decide together on the best schedule for future contact.
Guidelines for STUDENTS
- Mentors are asked to contact students as soon as assignments are made. If you have not heard from your mentor by early November, please initiate contact. Call the ODA Central Office at 503-218-2010 ext. 108 if you are unable to reach your mentor.
- As a third or fourth year student, you may wish to partner with your mentor and participate in the Howard Competition sponsored by the Oregon Academy of General Dentistry. You may also want to talk to your mentor about job opportunities.
- You may request a change of mentors for any reason. Call the ODA to ask for a new mentor.
- Students and mentors often meet in early April at the Oregon Dental Conference. ASDA members are admitted to the conference free of charge. Look for information provided by the ODA, call the ODA Central Office at 503-218-2010, or visit the Oregon Dental Conference section of our Web site.
- One scheduled dinner/evening event is held each academic year for students and mentors, usually in January.
- If you wish additional meetings with your mentor, ask to visit the mentor's practice or attend a component dental society meeting or study club session together.
- Both students AND mentors lead extremely busy lives. When initial contact is made, decide together on the best schedule for future contact.