Robert Fazio, DMD
Robert Fazio, DMD
1. Antibiotics in Dentistry
At the conclusion of this course, attendees will be able to:
- Develop Algorithms for selecting antibiotics for localized and spreading infection in 2012
- Recognize the essential drug-drug and disease interactions
- Understand the subtleties of the AHA and AAOS directives
- Recognize the inconsistencies in national medical organization guidelines and recommendations
- Understand the new approach to stents, the four approaches to dialysis and other medical devices
This CHAIRSIDE FRIENDLY course is for the clinician seeing patients on a daily basis. It is the follow up course to the morning session “Antibiotics in Dentistry”. The dentist is faced with an aging population with a myriad of medical problems and physician prescribed medications. Medical problems like Diabetes Mellitus, bisphosphonate therapy for osteoporosis, anticoagulant therapy and the drugs for a myriad of Cardiovascular Diseases directly affect Dental Treatment Planning. The purpose of this course, is to provide the dentist a framework for choosing Antibiotics, Analgesics, Anesthetics and other TOP 50 DENTAL PRESCRIPTIONS in the context of potential Drug-Drug Interactions and Disease related complications of the Medically Compromised Patient.
What must we know chairside every day to successfully treat periodontitis in both the compliant and non-compliant patient? Do the same principles apply to peri-implantitis? How do we choose between the periodontally compromised teeth, crown and bridge replacements or implants? Understand the “evidence based data” in the dental literature compared to the “promotional dentistry” of the manufacturers. Does the soft tissue program in the dental office influence this decision? Which cases are the winners and losers? What medical issues increase risk for dental failure? Learn specific protocols from curettes to toothbrushes, antibiotics to analgesics, medical disease and drugs, to mouthrinses and toothpaste.
- Learn the clinical “pearls” that maximize success
- Recognize and avoid “the high risk failure” cases
- Save many more teeth and implants than you thought you could
- Improve dental treatment planning with evidence based data
Dr. Fazio is Associate Clinical Professor of Surgery at Yale University School of Medicine. He maintains a private practice limited to Oral Medicine, Implants and Periodontology in Norwalk, Connecticut. In 2009, 2010 and 2011, DENTISTRY TODAY named Dr. Fazio one of the Top 100 Clinicians in Continuing Education. His current books include, “The Ultimate Cheat Sheets – The Practical Guide for Dentists”, named by Christianson’s CRA Newsletter: Best Educational Product of 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 and “Oral Medicine Secrets”. He serves on the Editorial Board for the Journals: Inside Dentistry and Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry.